Car Imports

Importing & Exporting Vehicles

We at Davidson & Sons are your one-stop customs brokerage solution to importing and exporting vehicles to and from Canada. Whether you are looking to bring your car across the border or import a vehicle from overseas, Davidson & Sons can help! We offer a full range of services in order to suit every car owners needs. Our goal is save you from time consuming, frustrating experiences and to prevent costly mistakes that can be made throughout the process.

Our specialties include:

- Customs clearance of cars/vehicles into both Canada & US
- Exporting to US

- Shipping from overseas
- Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) imports
Right Hand Drive (RHD) vehicles
- National Freight Forwarding from Port of Entry

The first step in the process is to ensure your vehicle is admissable into Canada by visiting the Registrar of Imported Vehicles: 

Importing from Overseas

When importing a commercial or recreational vehicle into Canada from overseas, here a few key factors you need to know before your vehicle will be allowed entry by the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA):

- The vehicle must be 15 years old or older. Anything newer is not admissible into Canada
- The vehicle meets the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) requirements
- Meet the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) by ensuring the vehicle is clean and free of soil
- Submit required documents to CBSA at first point of entry into Canada
- Pay applicable taxes, RIV fee, duty, and excise taxes

You will need from the supplier:

- Sales Invoice (displaying all costs)
- Export Certificate
- Ocean Bill of Lading

We will handle all the paper work, domestic transportation, and necessary assistance in order to provide a smooth, efficient, and professional importation process. 

Between USA and Canada

Here are a few key steps to follow when importing an automobile, or other vehicle between Canada and the United States:

- Ensure vehicle admissibility
- Meet US Customs Border and Protection (CBP) documentation requirements
- An export filing document must be filed on the US CBP Automated Export Services (AES)
**AES filing needs to be done by a US company such as a customs broker or freight forwarder. Davidson & Sons can help you here!
- All documents need to be submitted to the CBP 72 hours prior to export
- Ensure the car is clean and without soil in regulation of the CFIA

Need from the Supplier:

- Bill of Sale with the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), Make, Model, and Model Year
- Physical Title with the back filled out showing the sale
- The Engine Size (CC's) and Engine Type (Gasoline or Diesel)
- All original documents when crossing border

Check out the government regulations as well as in-depth reviews on JDM vehicles in our resources section below before you import! 


Transport Canada -

Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) –

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) –

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) –

JDM Import Reviews and Information -



We are proud to celebrate our 100th anniversary in 2017 & look forward to the next century of serving our valuable clients. #100years #D&S

by Davidson & Sons


Davidson & Sons Customs Brokers Ltd. specializes in customs brokerage, freight forwarding, events and tradeshows, and film production.

Davidson & Sons
Customs Brokers Ltd.

Truck PARS – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Ocean Shipments – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Air Shipments – This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Head Office:
#1220-1188 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC
V6E 4A2

Phone: 604.681.5132
Fax: 604.681.2601

Kelowna Office:
Phone: 250-808-0322

USA Office:
18000 International Blvd. Suite 411
SeaTac, WA 98188

Phone: 206.774.1203
Fax: 206.770.7288

Davidson & Sons on Twitter  Davidson & Sons on LinkedIn