Effective July 29, 2016, the following HS Codes will apply for the importation of Tableware and Kitchenware, of wood:
The commodities classified under the following HS code are "Approved":
44.19.00.0100.01 Tableware and kitchenware, of wood - without bark and less or equal to 1.5 cm in thickness
The commodities classified under the following HS codes "Refer to CFIA-NISC"
44.19.00.0100.02 Tableware and kitchenware, without bark and exceeding 1.5 cm in thickness
44.19.00.0100.03 Tableware and kitchenware, with bark
Originating from countries other than the continental United States:
- Phytosanitary Certificate or a Phytosanitary Certificate for re-export specifying treatment details in the treatment section of the certificate is required.
- Referencing a Fumigation Certificate in lieu of filling treatment details in the Phytosanitary Certificate will not be accepted.
- Commodities can be imported into Canada if fumigated with methyl bromide as described in Appendix 1 of D-02-12 and if the moisture content is less than 20%.
- The treatment must be verified by the National Plant Protection Organization (NPPO) of the exporting country.
- A Permit to Import is not required.
Originating from Continental United States:
- A Plant Protection Import Permit or a No Permit Required Letter is required.
Note: Until September 1, 2016, shipments containing commodities imported under HS Codes 44.19.00.0100.02 and 44.19.00.0100.03 arriving in Canada without phytosanitary certificate or plant protection import permit may be subject to inspection upon arrival. If high risk material containing bark, live pests or signs of living pests are found, then the shipment may in part or entirety be refused entry to Canada. For shipments arriving after September 1, 2016, all phytosanitary requirements must be met as specified.
For all questions relating to these changes please contact the regional CFIA office.